Calling all writers! Author Holly Schindler, author of A Blue So Dark, needs your help!
Each month Holly is hosting a writing challenge on her blog called Flash Fiction. Using ideas gathered from her readers, Holly will write a short fiction piece based on one of the writing prompts she recieves. Here's the rules according to Holly:
Okay, I'm not much of a rules kind of gal (as you'll be able to tell by the loosey-goosey requirements outlined below). But here they are:
1. Come up with a writing prompt. It can be anything. Totally random. (The prompt in no way has to relate or reflect back to the original "Rocket In Real Life" flash fiction post...unless, of course, you want it to.) The prompt can be a title. A first line / last line. A list of words I have to incorporate. A character name. A setting. A metaphor I have to use. Or anything else you come up with. And I welcome, welcome challenges. The tougher the better. Try to stump me!
(FYI: I called it a blogger-generated prompt on Monday, but if you're not blogging, don't sweat it. Anybody can play! Fellow writers, reviewers, readers, teachers, followers of this blog / non-followers of this blog...no restrictions. See? I'm sort of allergic to rules...)
2. Email your prompt to writehollyschindler (at) yahoo (dot) com.
3. I'll choose a prompt (hint: I'll choose the wackiest, toughest prompt that hits my inbox), and write a new piece of flash fiction (no longer than 500 words).
4. I'll post one new piece of flash fiction per month...
5. I'll run the challenge again in October, November, and December. (Each post will go live on the 9th.)
6. After the December challenge, I'll set up a poll, so that everyone can vote: Which prompt led to the best flash fiction? The winner will receive a special prize...just in time for the holidays!
Didja hear that? A special prize to the winner of the best writing prompt! Yes, oh, yes.
Okay, prompt away! Go for it! Send one, send ten. No limit! If you have any questions, feel free to email. Thanks in advance for playing!
Want to play? Send your writing prompt to Holly -this month she's looking for an object to write about. And be sure to check out Holly's blog and her debut novel A Blue So Dark!